lundi 10 septembre 2018

First Album




From Olivia Newton-John’s Don’t Stop Believin’.



"We cut the album at the legendary Abbey Road Studios where I spent my days with dog Geordie at my feet. There was a moment when he actually knocked the mic stand during a guitar solo in If Not For You. We left the sound on the album and it still makes me smile when I hear it.

It also makes me smile when I remember that The Beatles were in the next studio with George Martin recording their new album. I was lucky enough to meet them all as Bruce [Welch, Olivia’s then fiancé] was good friends with the most famous band of all time. In fact, he told me that Paul offered him his publishing on a song, but first he would want to give it a listen. Paul pulled his guitar out of his car boot and played a few bars of the song to Bruce, who turned it down. It had a different working title then, but it was Yesterday!

One day I walked in and found John and Yoko sitting around with their arms and legs entwined, young and in love. It’s a beau­tiful memory. I wouldn’t see Yoko again until many years later when I was on my honeymoon. By then, John was gone. So tragic.

In November of 1971, at the age of twenty-one, I released my debut studio album, If Not For You. The single of that name was written by Bob Dylan and was a major hit. George Harrison had also done a version of it. London disc jockeys, along with romantics everywhere, embraced it. It was an excellent song for lovers of any age.

Decades later, I would find out that it’s my husband John’s favourite song.

It was exciting to have an album out and the next months went by in a blur of getting-to-know-you promotional appear­ances on television shows across Europe, the UK and Australia, along with a stage tour. Perhaps I was too young to handle it all, but I went down a path that I would later regret, which led to Bruce and me breaking off our engagement."




Premier album (1971)

Nous avons réalisé l'album aux légendaires Abbey Road Studios où j'ai passé mes journées avec le chien Geordie à mes pieds. Il y a eu un moment où il a frappé le micro pendant un solo de guitare dans If Not For You . On a laissé le son sur l'album et ça me fait toujours sourire quand je l'entends.

Cela me fait aussi sourire quand je me souviens que les Beatles étaient dans le  studio d'à coté avec George Martin enregistrant leur nouvel album. ( Les Beatles se sont séparés en 1969 officiellement le 10 avril 1970 ... Paul McCartney à lui enregistré son premier album en 1970 à Abbey Road ! ) J'ai eu la chance de les rencontrer car Bruce [Welch, alors fiancé d'Olivia] était  bon ami avec le groupe le plus célèbre de tous les temps. En fait, il m'a dit que Paul lui avait offert sa publication sur une chanson, mais il voulait d'abord l'écouter. Paul sortit sa guitare de son coffre et joua quelques mesures de la chanson à Bruce, qui le refusa. La chanson avait un titre différent, mais c'était hier !

Un jour, je suis entré et j'ai trouvé John et Yoko assis, les bras et les jambes enlacés, jeunes et amoureux. C'est un beau souvenir. Je ne reverrais Yoko que plusieurs années plus tard, alors que j'étais en lune de miel. À ce moment-là, John était "parti". Tellement tragique.

En novembre 1971, à l'âge de vingt et un ans, j'ai sorti mon premier album studio, If Not For You  ( heu .. plutôt à l'age de 23 ans Olivia !! ). Le single if Not For You a été écrit par Bob Dylan et a été un grand succès. George Harrison en avait également fait une version. Les disc jockeys de Londres, avec les romantiques du monde entier, l’ont adopté. C'était une excellente chanson pour les amateurs de tout âge.

Des décennies plus tard, je découvrirais que c'est la chanson préférée de mon mari John.

C'était excitant de sortir un album et les prochains mois ont été marqués par des apparitions promotionnelles dans des émissions télévisées en Europe, au Royaume-Uni et en Australie, ainsi qu' une tournée. J'étais peut-être trop jeune pour tout gérer, mais je suis partie sur un chemin que je regretterais plus tard, ce qui a amené Bruce et moi à rompre notre engagement.


Olivia Newton-John / Extrait de ses mémoires !

Dans son livre,  Olivia, One Woman's Journey, Darren Mason relayait une autre rencontre  : Being with Bruce meant that Olivia, a naive 20 years of age, along with  Pat Carroll, Cliff and the rest of The Shadows, found herself mixing with the music world's top names ! One of whom was Paul McCartney. "One day we went round to Paul's house and he said, "I've just written this song, " and then  started playing "Lady Madonna" says Olivia. "At the time, I didn't even realise what I was hearing, I was so thrilled to be meeting Paul. When I look back, it's amazing to think that I was actually there when he wrote the song !" ( 1968 )




.

MUSIQUE





Aucun commentaire: