dimanche 7 mars 2021

SUR LA TOILE

 



 

YOU 


Le même article dans le magazine anglais YOU supplément gratuit du  journal THE MAIL ON SUNDAY !! Danke KAY !

 




THEN I DECIDED TO ENJOY LIFE’ 

Cole Moreton 
The Mail on Sunday
7 Mar 2021

MAIN PHOTOGRAPH: MICHELLE DAY 

She’s living with cancer, yet OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN has the same upbeat outlook as Sandy, the iconic character who made her a superstar in the 1970s. She reveals her secrets for staying positive to 

 Olivia Newton-john loves life. She has absolutely no interest in letting it go, or in hearing how long she has left. ‘They could tell me but I think it’s a mistake to listen; it puts something in your mind,’ she says. ‘Deep down you go, “Oh, gosh, they must know something I don’t know.” Block it out!’ 

 Olivia is 72 but looks and sounds as sunny as she did as Sandy in Grease more than 40 years ago. However, the difficult truth is that the breast cancer she survived in the 1990s has come back and spread, including to her bones. Two years ago, there were even reports of her death. ‘Ha! To read that you are dying or that you are nearly dead is kind of disturbing! Especially as I was feeling OK. I’d had my moments but I wasn’t anywhere near there.’ So she put out a video statement to counter the fake news, smiling while announcing: ‘This is Olivia Newton-john and I just want to say that the rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

’ How is she doing now, at home on her ranch in the Californian sun? ‘I am really good, thank you. Very well.’ Life must be gruelling and scary at times, given that Olivia has had to learn to walk again after a tumour fractured a bone at the base of her spine three years ago (‘that was excruciating’). But she has the support of her husband and soulmate John Easterling, an expert on the Amazon. Together they have launched the Olivia Newton-john Foundation to fund research into the ways cannabis and other botanicals can help people. 
‘I am not trying to replace anything. I just want to find out if we can heal cancer in a gentler way that will boost the immune system – rather than destroy it.’ Olivia is also a great believer in the power of positive thinking. ‘When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992 I had my moment of fear and panic. 
But I had to make a decision that I was going to be OK, because I had a young daughter to raise.’ Chloe Rose was six years old. ‘She is now in her 30s and I am still here, so I am very lucky. I know not everyone is as fortunate as I have been, but the mind is an extremely important part of your healing. There is great power in the belief system and that is why it frightens me when doctors tell people, “Oh, you only have this amount of time.” 
Because you can make that belief system a reality. So I try not to. I don’t read statistics and I don’t go there.’ Surely there are moments when life gets her down? ‘If I am having a difficult day or pain, of course. But I work through it and make a decision that I am going to be OK. I play with my dog or my horses, pick some flowers or do some pruning. Going outside is the way for me to get back to gratitude.’ 
 She still sounds Australian, despite having lived in America for nearly half a century. But the first six years of her life were spent in Cambridge, where Olivia was born into a remarkable family. 
Her grandfather won the Nobel Prize for Physics and her father was an MI5 officer helping to crack the Enigma code and win the Second World War. 
The family moved to Australia and Olivia became a star in her teens. 

America beckoned and she was pretty big in country music before being cast opposite John Travolta in the movie adaptation of a certain Broadway hit. ‘Grease took me to a higher level,’ she says. ‘Forty years later and people still love the movie and talk about it. There’s an innocence about Grease that is appealing because this is such a different era.’ Inevitably, there has been a backlash. When the BBC showed the film on Boxing Day, there were complaints that it was ‘sexist’ and ‘rapey’ even though





 

Se Og Hor

 

from Norway

Aucun commentaire: